What is Hyperpigmentation and How to treat it
- Hyperpigmentation is when a patch or area of skin is darker than the surrounding skin.
- It is caused by excess melanin production.
- Melanin is the compound which gives us our skin color.
- age/ liver spots- occur due to sun exposure. Occur commonly on the hands/ face and areas exposed to the sun.
- Melasma/ chloasma- they are bigger than age spots. Usually triggered by hormonal changes for example pregnancy or birth control pills.
- Post- inflammatory- due to acne, allergy, burns, lupus or post-surgery
- Sunblock- which offers protection against UVA and UVB rays.
- Prescription creams used to lighten the skin- may contain hydroquinone, kojic acid, arbutin, azelaic acid. retinoids or corticosteroids.
- Vitamin C serums
- Chemical peels which are done by physician